Monday, June 27, 2011

Grandpa's Present


I know that I am a little behind on posting what our family did for my husbands dad for Father's Day but never late than never huh? This was by far one of my favorite presents to do for someone and a little frustrating as well. We started out with three light plate covers and I had my husband cut out the middle.
   Next was another trip to Hobby Lobby to pick out the scrapbook paper we used to cover the switches and some mod podge. 

 We cut the paper a little bigger than the light switch covers so that way we made sure the edges were covered. It made it look better especially on the inside of the frame where the plastic was a little ridged from being cut. 
  
Our team of mod podgers!

The covered frames.

Even though mod podge is non-toxic we only let the older boys use it and the younger two just used water on scraps of the paper, they had no clue they were doing anything different and had just as much fun.






The picture sizes turned out to be more challenging than I thought they would be. I recommend taking the picture zoomed out as much as you can to give you space on your signs. Since we were running a little behind on the present and half of our subjects were on vacation we couldn't have another photo shoot. After printing more than I wanted too I finally settled on wallet sized pictures and just put cream paper behind them to fill up the space and match the rest of the colors. I also used just some off white ribbon to tie the frames together (turn the switch covers on the sides and use the holes where the screws would be and you have instant holes that all line up).  And here is the final product!!! I can't wait to use this project again with something else.
 I also used some thin cardboard to keep the pictures in place and fatten it up some so they weren't sliding everywhere and finished up the rest of the scrapbook paper for the backing so everything is completely covered. Grandpa was very happy with his present :) Happy Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment