Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Change of Heart

So I don't know if most of you know or not but I am currently in school for nursing. I don't know why but for some reason I keep trying to go back to getting a degree in it, and then something changes my mind. This time I know for sure that I am not meant to have a degree in nursing. I love so much how much interaction nurses get with the patients and how they get to show them how to start taking care of themselves with whatever ails them. I don't know how much I could handle though taking care of so many sick people, when so much can be prevented in the first place. It always brings me back to my first major.

I first started going to UNCW for nursing (I know!), which then quickly changed to biology. But then I realized that as much as I loved it, it was not my passion. So after talking to a few people I decided to try some new classes in Health and I was hooked!!! My professors were so amazing and inspiring (thanks Dr. Perko and Dr. Kyzer.) I had a whole new outlook, and I was ready to take on the world, show them what I had learned, make them want to live a better life too. But then my life got in the way and all my passion sat on the back burner.

Now after being in nursing school again I realized that health really is my true passion. I want to show people how to live longer lives by being healthy, not doing what they want hoping they don't have a heart attack a stroke, or get cancer. I want to show people how being healthy isn't just about eating ok, but eating to help save our planet. I want to inspire people to grow a garden in their backyard, to eat organic, and to shop at their local farmers markets. I want people to see that what we do today not only affects our children but their children's children. I want everyone to love their planet as much as I do (and not because deep down I am a huge hippie), but because we don't get do-overs with this planet.

So I am going to go back to school for nutrition. I love cooking, I love food, and I love knowing what I am putting into my mouth is going to help my body and my family in so many great ways. And I want to be able to pass that on to others. I love being inspired, its one of the best feelings in the world knowing I can make a difference. What inspires you? 

1 comment:

  1. that is great beth. I am just starting to catch up on your blog. :) I can't wait to see how this goes for you. I have begun to feel a stirring in this way in the past few years. I have made some changes to our recycling and reusing habits and have always been a thrift store shopper but i need to make better choices about our eating and am slowly making changes in this area. it would be great if you can post some of the recipes you try and love :)

    ReplyDelete