Monday, March 14, 2011

My Mountain Adventure

Hi guys. Sorry it has taken so long to write a post, between having two boys with a horrible stomach virus then catching it myself things have been quite hectic in the Witherup household. So after all the craziness my mom invited us to a little mountain vacation with one of her oldest friends Frannie. It was actually more of she invited Asher to go and I didn't think I could be without him that long so Soren and I invited ourselves too.

The trip started out great until we got to the actual mountain we were staying on, then Fran's gps totally decided it wanted to take us all over the mountain. After an hour and a half on crazy curves my mom demanded that we stop at the next place so she could pee. Next thing I know we are at a hotel with no one at the front desk and my mom and Fran behind the desk looking around. I was worried someone was going to walk up and them get arrested so I went inside to see what they were doing and randomly enough we were where we needed to be. Hooray sleep at midnight for my two boys is not a fun night, I knew they were going to be up so early the next day. Thinking it was smooth sailing from there I rested my head on a pillow and passed out.

Day two starts out great with my mom letting me sleep in and I wake up to them talking about going out and seeing what we can do. We also learned that it was supposed to snow the next day! Not good because first off my mom told me we were going to Asheville so I looked up the weather there which just said some rain and in the mid 40s. I only had some little tennis shoes and we didn't have any jackets to keep us warm or hats (I really am a better prepared mommy this was throwing me for a loop), so at that point it needed to find us some warmer clothes. Into the cars we all pile and start on the days adventure that was going to be filled with yummy food, thrift stores, and some gem mining for the boys. We get going a little bit and Fran's car starts overheating so off we go to find antifreeze, two stops later and we think we have enough (oh yes at this point it is pouring down freezing rain) and down the mountain we keep going. I notice Fran is going a little slower than usual (she is known to get a speeding ticket or two) and I feel like we are completely lost (mom said turn right when she was supposed to tell me to turn left) so at this point I am starving and Soren has fallen asleep when I see a resturant and we pull over. Good thing we did because Fran's car has broken down at this point in the parking lot. Yay for a hamburger joint at least.

After filling our faces we food and a friendly waitress who tells us the quickest way to a grocery store and a repair shop we hop back into our cars and head to the repair shop. I notice that Fran is not behind me and so I pull over and wait....she never comes, back down we go to find her. About a mile down we find her with some friendly guys pulled over who inform her the worse, she put antifreeze where the motor oil goes, and at this point her car won't even start. Oh no!!!!! Never fear, mom with the triple A, so she hops into Fran's car and Fran's daughter-in-law and Fran's sister-in-law hop into our car and off to the grocery store we go since we are all sure there is no chance we are going anywhere soon.

We are finally back at the hotel and we can relax and get dry. Frannie and my mom get back about an hour later full of laughter from their own little adventure, they are so great together. A law and order marathon for me and cartoons for the boys we are in heaven and also ready for bed. A call the next morning informs us the car is actually ok so its off to get the car and a run to the Dollar General, my boys are more than bored and fighting like crazy they need activities. Back we get and the ladies are itching to go shopping so off they go while I take a nap with Soren. They finally get back only to have the snow storm start.

We wake up so stinking hot (the boys had gotten a hold of the thermostat and it was on 86) and look outside. That little snow turned out to be huge (ok huge for us) and on the day we were supposed to leave. All the doors on the car were frozen and the snow almost reached our knees. A call to the front desk and we find out that only 4 wheel drive cars are allowed on the road and if you drive and don't have that type of car you will get a ticket. Yikes, at this point we are all ready to go home. Frannie being the brave one she is gets in her car anyway and heads down the mountain. No way am I going, we can stay the night for all I care I don't think I can drive down that. But the roads open up and home we come. I had missed my husband so much and was ready for my own bed.

So that was my week sorry there were no pictures I forgot my camera too. Hope you guys had a great week too!

No comments:

Post a Comment