Monday, October 5, 2009

A Toast To Amanda and Dean

So I went to one of my greatest friends wedding this weekend in Wilmington. How great it was to be a part of that sweet sweet wedding, and I am a huge sucker for weddings let me tell you, most of them make me cry. It was done so nicely, on the beach in the afternoon and then a wonderful party downtown. I had never met Amanda's parents before even though I have known her forever and I still didnt get to meet them that night, but I really enjoyed what her father said in the toast to them and so I wanted to share it with all of you. He started off talking about the sign on the beach at the wedding. A very simple sign with old wood and on it was just painted Amanda and Dean's Wedding. He talked about while painting that sign he realized that he was painting the same letters over within each name, except for two. And both the bride and the groom contributed one of those letters, Amanda had the M and Dean had the E. He then gave them the wooden letters and told them to hold them up for everyone to see. He said with getting married you were giving up the ME. We all got a laugh out of that one because its so true, when we do get married we each give up some of me to be with the other, and I said some, not all of it, we have to remember why we married each other in the first place. Then he asked Amanda to turn her letter upside down and for us to look to see what it spelled, WE, and that was what they were gaining by getting married. I absolutely loved that!!! One of the best parts of getting married is getting that WE, the person who we come home to everyday, we fall asleep beside at night, the one that we get to share all of our hopes and dreams, passions, everything with. I love being a WE, and realizing that all of the things I worried about with just being a ME were a lot of times silly. And so tonight before I fall asleep with my other half of WE I would just like for everyone else who is reading this and has that someone special to think about what all you have gained becoming a WE and to be happy for what you lost as a ME. Here is to you Amanda and Dean, I hope you guys have the best life together, and I cant wait to see how your WE developes.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're a phenomenal writer! I plan to tune in often, my sweet. I'm so happy for you and for your friends. Having just gotten married, this post was particularly gorgeous. Keep writing, doll!

    ReplyDelete