Thursday, October 13, 2011

Wreath DIY

Ok I know that I am more than behind on my blog but I have a pretty good reason. Only 1 week and 2 days til my due date and while I know that this baby will come out when its good and ready the countdown is fun for me. Anyway while I am not nesting by cleaning up my need to decorate and create things has gone into overdrive!!!! So last week and part of this week I decided to decorate my front door with one of the wreaths that I keep seeing online everywhere. And while it was hard for me to decide on one thing I just combined all that I loved into this one wreath. So it started with just a round foam wreath and a fun easy yarn color that was a bit neutral. I used a hot glue gun with this and just started wrapping the yarn around the wreath holding it tight and glueing about every 6 or 7 wraps like so...


I couldn't decide what type of flowers that I wanted on the wreath so I decided to mix it up and do a few. The first one that I started with was felt flowers and after googling quite a few I found the one that I liked. I got $.29 fabric pieces from AC Moore and cut them up into 1 in strips.




Depending on how large I wanted my flower I was doing some with 2 strips and some with 3 strips. Then I cut small niches in each strip.

After cutting all of the strips I started to roll them and glue them every few rolls.


Here was my end result :)

I also made some rosettes (I got the tutorial here) like this:



And did a few frayed flowers like this: (tutorial here)


After all of that I got a fun "W" to be in the middle and painted it (ok my husband did so I wasnt smelling fumes) midnight blue. I'm not too excited about how I have it held in the wreath but until I find something better I think its ok. I also wanted to be able to change the color of the flowers out depending on the season so I used large pins with different color heads to add a little bit of flare like this:


Ok and now the moment you have all been waiting for my end results. I was pretty excited about it all!!!


I hope you guys like it. Up next will be the babies room, its even more fun than this!

No comments:

Post a Comment